What Are the Risks of Using a Plumber Without a License?
You’ve probably always been taught the importance of doing your research before embarking on an expensive, time-consuming home project. You want to get multiple estimates and read reviews on the experiences of other clients who have worked with the company. You may think that a plumbing job doesn’t require this kind of research, but believe us when we say that your research should be thorough before you bring anyone into your home that may not be as qualified as they seem. Always hire a licensed plumber – you could face major risks if you do not.
Unlicensed Contractors Cannot Pull Permits
Before a plumber begins a major job, they need to obtain a permit to make sure that everything is good to go with local codes and ordinances. Only properly licensed contractors can do so, and without these permits, they have no right to take on certain jobs for the risk of causing immeasurable damage to your plumbing system. Furthermore, the customer can be saddled with expensive code violations due to the plumber’s negligence.
Many Do Not Have Insurance
Unlicensed plumbers who cannot pull permits often do not have proper insurance. You are therefore completely vulnerable to a lawsuit if that plumber is hurt while working on your plumbing job. Additionally, if the plumber does not have general liability insurance, any damage to your home inflicted by their team will have to be taken on by your home insurance policy – if it is covered by your policy’s parameters. Always make sure that the plumber you hire is insured in the event of the unexpected.
The Work May Suffer
The reality is that you want a licensed plumber who is completely up to date with a city’s codes, is familiar with the make-up and structure of a region’s plumbing specifications, and has had the proper training. Even though someone who is unlicensed may offer you a cheaper rate, it is not worth the risk of damaging your plumbing system, contaminating your water, or suing you unjustly. Their standards of workmanship are also likely lower, and you need to be assured of the highest quality of service before bringing someone on.
You May Face Legal Problems
When you hire an unlicensed plumber, either your landlord or a government agency can document claims against you. You may be charged to court for work done that can put your neighbors, family, or the public at risk. In some cases, you may face fines for hiring an unlicensed contractor to work on your home. You could even get into more trouble if someone was injured on your property due to inadequate plumbing or the use of unapproved materials and tools.
How to Find a Professional Plumber
Finding a professional plumber can be overwhelming. With so many different options, it may seem impossible to make the right choice. To help you find the best professional plumber for your job, here are some tips to consider:
- Check Their Reviews: If you’re looking for a professional plumber, chances are you’ve heard of them before. Before making a decision, it’s important to read reviews and testimonials from past customers. This will help you get an idea of the quality of work they provide.
- Ask for Recommendations: If someone you know has had a good experience with a plumber in the past, they’ll likely be happy to share the information with you. You may also find recommendations from people in your local community.
- Examine Their Licensing and Insurance: It’s important to make sure that any plumber you hire is properly licensed and insured. These documents will provide assurance that the work will be done in a safe and professional manner.
- Ask Questions: Before hiring a plumber, make sure to ask them questions about their experience and qualifications. This will help you to get a good idea of whether they are the right fit for your job.
- Get Multiple Bids: Finally, before hiring a plumber, it’s wise to get multiple bids from different companies. This can help ensure that you’re getting the best possible price for the job.
By following these tips, you can find a professional plumber who is qualified and capable of providing the services you need.
Call Liberty Today
At Liberty Plumbing, we hire only the most highly-qualified plumbing professionals that are thoroughly licensed, well-versed in all codes, and have the expertise to be trusted in your home. Give us a call today at (951) 760-4215. We serve Murrieta, San Diego, and Winchester, California.